The University of Witwatersrand, WITS free online WitsX/edX admission application form is now available for applicants. The WitsX/edX learning platform offers “Mining for Development – the taxation linkage” course.
The aim of the WitsX free online course “Mining for development: The taxation linkage” is to assist decision-makers, public policymakers and activist in decision making. Since revenue from the tax is the main benefit of mineral extraction for Johannesburg, the state must design mineral fiscal regimes that look into the interest of a wide range of stakeholders to help in promoting mining for development.
This course will help managers in private companies, policymakers and activist to be mindful of their choices and the implications of their choices. Their choices have major implications for public finance, development and sustainability.
The learning aims of the course include:
- To help in determining the costs and benefit of the mineral development cycle
- To identify stakeholders and their interests in mining, development and sustainability
- The two key models of extractive development (private-led and neo-extractivism) and their implications for taxing mining
- The concept of mineral resource rents, and the arguments for and against different types of mineral royalty
- Perspectives that are not usually foregrounded in tax debates, such as gender disparities, green fiscal regimes, and transparency initiatives
- The lead academic is Tracy-Lynn Field, Professor of Law at the School of Law, University of the Witwatersrand.
- The online free course is going run from 13 July -31 August 2020.
WITS FREE ONLINE WITSX/APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Applicants are to use the WITS Free Online WitsX/edX enrollment portal to apply.
For more information on the course visit: https://www.edx.org/course/mining-for-development-the-taxation-linkageFollow SchoolGist