Due to the outbreak of COVID-19 in many parts of the world with South Africa included. This article is to give an update on the Mangosuthu University of Technology, MUT closure and opening date.
On March 15, 2020, the President of South Africa, Cyril Ramaphosa has declared the Coronavirus as a national disaster and calls on the closure of all schools and correctional facilities to curb the spread of the deadly virus. Also, a ban has also been placed on international travel, limitation on domestic travel and gathering of more than 100 people.
In order to help fight the spread of this disease, the Mangosuthu University of Technology and all South Africa universities have suspended all activities indefinitely.
CORONAVIRUS: UPDATES FROM THE MANGOSUTHU UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY (MUT)
The University is keen to adhere to the guidelines from standard organizations to curb the contagious virus. The coronavirus has recently declared a pandemic by both the Centre of Diseases Control and the World Health Organization. This virus has caused so many damages and made companies and institutions to close down.
So many measures have been taken and people are asked to change their behaviour towards health to help stop the virus. The President of South Africa has declared COVID-19 a disaster and all possible things are put in place to fight it. Some of the measures put in place are;
This decision of MUT is an effort to take appropriate actions in order to enable the moderation of exposure of students and staff to COVID-19 and also stop the spread of the virus in the country. The University Senate resolved to the following on 18 March 2020:
- Starting from 18th of March 2020 the university will be on recess till 15th of April, 2020. Meaning the university is bringing its mid-term break forward.
- Students are to leave the university residences with 72 hours. The university is aware of the challenges the decision is going to pose to students but the management believes its the best decision to make due to the nature of Coronavirus.
- All international students will receive accredited accommodation from the University in accordance with the national and WHO directives to deal with COVID-19. The aim of this decision is to reduce movement across national boundaries to mitigate COVID-19’s impact on society.
- All staff are expected to work from home unless line managers, in consultation with the HR Department and union representatives, are required to report for duty.
- Directives will be issued by line managers for the skeleton staff to be available during this period to continue with essential operations.
- The Ceremonies of Graduation 2020 were postponed until further notice. In due course, the information will be forwarded to graduates.
- The University will strengthen the use of Blackboard, which is an online tool/software for enhancing teaching and learning, to reduce the heavy reliance on the teaching contact mode.
MUT Postponement of Graduation Ceremonies For 2020
The emergency meeting held by Senate on 16 March 2020 led to the resolution that the Graduation ceremonies of 2020 are postponed and the date will be announced later. This is in response to the Covad-19 pandemic declaration by President Ramaphosa of a national disaster and the public gatherings restriction ton.
In view hereof, please be advised of the following:
- For employment purposes, graduates due to graduation in 2020 are advised to use their academic records which clearly indicate the dates at which qualifications have been completed.
- Graduates with outstanding fees will not receive their certificate.
- All graduates will be notified of new dates for the 2020 graduation ceremonies as soon as they are finalized.
- Graduates who have not yet completed their degree form are advised to do so
- For further information regarding 2020 graduation ceremonies please contact Examinations Office at the following numbers, 031 907 7118, 031 907 7270, 031 907 9462 or e-mail to [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Please visit this page frequently as we will continue to update you on any update.Follow SchoolGist