A blog is an informational website published on the World Wide Web that provides information for people. This post will focus on how to start a blog and start making money from it.
First, let’s go into details on how to start a blog. Starting a blog is somehow easy today and there are millions of blogs online these days. Before starting a blog, it is very compulsory for you to choose a niche you love. A niche is what a blog specialized on, it can be gaming, education, entertainment or others.
The reason why you need to choose the niche you like is that writing is not easy especially when you are not making money from it. Choosing a niche you love will keep your fingers on your keyboard because you will enjoy writing on what you love.
If you are deliberating on the niche you want to choose for your blog, below are the top profitable blog niche.
Top Profitable Blog Niche
Below is the list of profitable blog niches you can focus on;
- Technical blog
- Digital Marketing blog
- Finance and Investment blog
- Fashion blog
- Travelling blog
- Movie and Music blog
- Health blog
- News blog
- Food blog
- Personal Development blog
The above niches are high paying blogging niche you can consider. After choosing a niche, the next thing to do is to choose a domain name and buy it.
How To Buy Domain Name
There are many platforms where you can buy a domain, to buy a domain name, you have to buy from a domain name registrar. Head to Bluehost or Godaddy or Namecheap to buy a domain name. You should know that to buy a domain name, it must not be registered by someone else already. A domain name on Bluehost will cost you as low as$8.99 to $11.99.
There are so many things you need to consider before you buy a domain name. The domain name you should go for should be related to your niche. Also, a suffix of your domain need to be considered when buying a domain name, some suffix is peculiar to a country. For example, co.za is for South Africa while .uk if for the United Kingdom.
After buying a domain, the next thing to do is to buy hosting for your WordPress blog. A website hosting provider gives your website space on the webserver to store its files, they are hosting a website. Web hosting makes a website file (code, images, etc.) available for viewing online. All website you see online is hosted on a server.
There are so many hosting providers available online, in this post, I will recommend Bluehost for your web hosting.
How to buy Bluehost Hosting plan
Bluehost is one of the top hosting providers in the world, it powers over 2 million websites and hosts 850,000 blogs. This post will teach you how to buy hosting from Bluehost without stress.
- Visit Bluehost.com
- Pick a hosting plan for your website. There are many Bluehost hosting plans you can go for, they are Basic, Plus, Choice Plus, and a Pro plan. Most people use the basic plan but you can go for the Pro plan if you have a lot of traffic.
- The next thing to do is to choose a domain name, the good news is Bluehost will give you a free domain for your blog. All you have to do is to input the domain name you want at the left-hand side box to check the availability. If you purchased a domain already from another platform, you can input the domain at the right-hand side that says “I have a domain”. If your domain is from another platform, you will need to point it to your Bluehost hosting.
- Enter your account information
- Select package information: This is the page you will choose the package information you want to opt-in for. You can choose 12 months, 24 months, or 36 months, the longer you purchase your hosting, the cheaper the price. Bluehost will give you free domain and SSL certificate for your hosting.
- Choose package addon: There are so many add-ons you can add to your hosting. We recommend domain privacy as an addon you should add.
- Enter your payment information to purchase the hosting.
After the payment, you will receive a message that contains the information to your Cpanel. Bluehost will then automatically take you through the steps to installing a WordPress blog.
How To Install a WordPress Theme for your Blog
After installing WordPress for your blog, you need to install a theme for your blog. There are many free WordPress themes you can use for your blog, you can also go for a premium theme to design your blog. Follow the following steps to install your blog theme;
Note: Choose a template that will fit your blog niche.
If you are using a free WordPress theme, on your WordPress dashboard go to Appearance>>Theme. Search for the theme you want to install and activate it. If you are using a theme you buy or download, click on the upload theme and upload the zip file of the theme you bought and activate it.
After you have installed your theme, some theme will require you to install a demo of the theme, choose the appropriate demo for your blog and install the plugins that are required for it to function well.
You can then proceed to write About Us, Contact Us and Privacy policies Page to make your blog look professional.
Stay tuned for more post that will help you to make money as a student.