If you have been wondering how you can check your SASSA status in South Afric, you are in the right place to get detailed information on SASSA status.
The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) is the agency responsible for giving out grants to South Africans that are vulnerable to penury and people that depend on the state’s support for sustenance.
There are different type of grants given to South Africans by the SASSA. These grants will be listed below in this article.
TYPES OF SASSA GRANTS
Below are the types of grants given to people:
- Grant for elderly people
- Social relief of distress
- War veterans grant
- Child support grant and others.
- Care dependency grant
Due to the pandemic. a special Social Relief of Distress grant of R 350 per month was given to people by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA). This grant will be paid for a short period of time, from May to October.
However, the grant is not given to everyone, the beneficiary must meet the requirements for them to be given the grant.
SASSA Grants Eligibility Requirements
Below are the requirements to be eligible for the grant:
- Applicants must be a South African Citizens, permanent residents or refugees that is registered with home affairs
- Residing within the borders of the Republic of South Africa;
- No source of income;
- 18 years and above;
- Not benefiting from any social grant;
- Not receiving any unemployment insurance benefit and does not qualify to receive unemployment insurance benefits;
- Not a beneficiary of other government pandemic response support and
- Must not reside in a government-funded or subsidised institution.
- Not a beneficiary from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme;
Required Documents for SASSA Grants
If you meet the requirements above, you need the following documents to apply for the grant:
- ID Number;
- Banking details;
- ID card with your name and surname on it;
- Proof of Residential Address;
- Gender and Disability;
- Phone number.
After you have applied for the SASSA grant and your application is successful, you can then proceed to check your application status. You can check your application status by following the steps below.
How to Check Your SASSA Status
There are so many ways you can check your SASSA application status, the steps are below:
- Social Media: You can check your status using social media like WhatsApp, Twitter etc
- Online: Visit https://srd.sassa.gov.za/sc19/status on your browser to check your status.
- USSD Code: You can also check through the use of USSD code *134*7737#.
To check your SASSA Status on WhatsApp, the number you will use to check is 082 046 8553. Add the number to your contact and text the word “Status” to the number. If you then receive a response which will ask if you are checking for someone or yourself. You will then be provided with a reference code which is in alphanumeric form, it is only numeric for others.
Irrespective of the method you are using to check, you will be required to provide your ID number and the number you used to apply to check your status successfully.
The information above will help you in checking your SASSA status successfully. However, recently SASSA is having issues regarding the SRD grant which led to the crashing of the site. You might be faced with many challenges while trying to check your status, there is no need to panic. Do well to check back as we will continue to update you.