Home Others How to Apply for USA Student Visa From South Africa

How to Apply for USA Student Visa From South Africa

USA student visa application

If you are planning to study at a USA school, you need to know how to apply for a USA student Visa. To study in the USA as an undergraduate or postgraduate student from South Africa, you will need a USA Student Visa.

To get a study visa in the USA there are some processes you will have to pass through, this article is going to prepare you ahead. This article is going to provide you will information on the USA f1 visa interview question, USA visa fee in South Africa, USA student visa interview and other things you need to know.

USA student visa application

Is USA a Good Choice?

Students move to the United State of America for education purpose from all over the world. The country is rich in students diversity and has one of the highest foreign students among other countries. Students aiming at the USA is due to the country’s academic excellence, Cutting-Edge Technology, Variety of Educational Opportunities, Opportunity for Research and Flexibility. Support Services for International Students, Global Education and Long-Term Career Prospects Campus Life. Studying in the USA is one of the best decision you can make, a US certificate will give you an edge above others.

READ  Elangeni TVET College Tuition and Fees 2020/2021

How to Get USA Student Visa from South Africa

Many picture USA student visa as something hard to get, but it is not so. The United States accepts international students coming to their country to study. Before you apply for a student visa, you should first apply to your school of choice and be accepted to study. After the institution has to offer you admission, they will send you all the documents you will submit during the visa application process.

F and M Visa Category

There are 2 non-immigrant visas available with the US consulate for international students coming to study. They are basically categorized as F and M visas.

The F-1 Visa

F-1 is the most common type of student visa, it is for students that want to engage in academic studies in the United States at an accredited U.S. college or university, private secondary school or approved English language program. You will also need an F-1 visa if your course of study is more than 18 hours a week.

The M-1 Visa

Students that want to engage in non-academic or vocational study or training at a U.S. institution will have to apply for an M-1 visa. The M-visa is available international students who wish to pursue a vocational degree in the U.S University of their choice.

USA Student Visa Requirement

Regardless of the student visa that you’re seeking for, the requirements for eligibility are still the same. Before you can apply for an F or M visa from South Africa you must have been accepted by a SEVP approved school. You will be enrolled on the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee. The school you apply to will then provide you with Form I-20 which you will present during the visa interview.

READ  List of all Colleges in Johannesburg, South Africa

Documents Required

To apply for a student visa in the US, applicants must have the following documents:

  • International Passport: You have to present an international passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the anticipated period of stay in the US. If you have others in your passport, each person will have to present a separate visa application if they are travelling with you.
  • DS-160 Confirmation Page: This document confirms that you have submitted a visa application. It includes your personal details, the purpose of travel and confirmation number.
  • Your Photo: While filling the DS-160 you will be required to upload a passport photograph if the picture fails to upload you will have to go along with it to the interview.
  • Visa Application fee payment receipt (if you are required to pay before your interview)

SEVIS Form I-20: This is the form given to you after the school you applied to have to input your information in the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS) database. The school would have sign the document, keep the form after you have to input your own signature in the space provided. You are to present this form on the interview day.

READ  Central Johannesburg College Tuition and fees

Other Required Documents

  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) for Academic and Language Students
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) for Vocational Students.
  • If your spouse and minor children intend to reside with you in the United States while you study, they must be registered in the SEVIS. And each person will receive a separate Form I-20.
  • Your academic documents, such as transcripts, diplomas, degrees, other certificates from schools you attended; and, any standardized test scores if required by your U.S. school
  • Proof of your intention to depart the United States after you have completed the course of study
  • Bank statements, pay slips and other proofs to show how you will pay for your education, living and travel costs.

Attend your Visa Interview

This is where a US consulate will attend to you to see if you are eligible for the visa you are applying for. If you pass the interview, you will be offered a visa but if you fail, you will have to try again later.

For any question, drop your comment below.

Follow SchoolGist



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here